Humans are particularly sensitive to humidity and its changes. The drier the air becomes, the more moisture it pulls from whatever sources are available to it -- and that includes your body. During cold winter months, using heaters inside lowers humidity even more, causing more moisture to evaporate from your skin into the air and leave your skin even drier. As a result, your lips and hands may crack, peel, become irritated, and even become infected, reports the National Health Museum. Additionally, as moisture leaves your body due to low humidity during cold months, you perceive lower than actual temperatures and feel even colder that it actually is, which also drives up energy costs from using heaters to feel more comfortable indoors.
What does this have to do with hair care, you might be asking? A lot.
I often wondered why hair and scalp health practices are not taken into account during the changing seasons. For instance, in summer months, excessive humidity can cause frizz. Therefore, you need to employ treatments and styles that will help defend against the Frizz Season. We're now entering the dry and cold seasons. So, hair care treatments must be adjusted to help maintain healthy hair during this time of year.
As mentioned by the National Health Museum, colder temperatures and lower humidity rooms can wreck havoc on the body. While it is rarely talked about, both hair and scalp can be sapped of its hydration and moisture due to the inside and outside temperatures. To help avoid the affects of changing temperatures and drier months, I recommend the following 5 tips:
1. Proper hydration always starts from the inside out. Drink half your weight in ounces. In other words, if you weigh 140 pounds you should be consuming 70 ounces of water per day. For a low-calorie twist on water, trying sparkling water or club soda with a few drops fresh fruit juice. It makes consuming water more enjoyable AND you can avoid the calorie laden juices sold in grocery and convenient stores.
2. Use a humidifier. You can keep your room and body better hydrated during the low humidity and colder months with a good humidifier.
3. Use the Huetiful Hair Steamer each week or every other week as part of your conditioning and hydration regimen. Even if you aren't using heat on your hair, your hair can become dry during this time of year and a weekly infusion of hydration will help keep the dryness away.
4. Other methods of providing additional moisture to the air around you is to fill bathtubs with water, place containers of water in your rooms, or boil water on the stove to provide the air with additional sources of moisture when humidity is low.
5. To help protect dry and flaky scalp, gently massage a healthy oil or oil blend into your scalp. Many times we misdiagnose "flaky scalp" and we think that it is dandruff. The flaky scalp can come from a lack of hydration and/or oil naturally secreted by the scalp. We make a 100% certified organic blend of Moringa Oil and Coconut Oil called Huetiful de la Moringa Oil. We like it because moringa oil is loaded with biotin and other healthy hair promoting nutrients.
It is possible to maintain healthy hair throughout the year with a few tweaks and changes to your hair care regimen. Understanding how to incorporate these changes throughout the year will significantly improve your hair care journey.
We've all fallen victim to a bad hair day, courtesy of the frizz monster. And let’s face it, there may not be a 100% cure, but there are ways to fight back for cuteness sake!
Whether you’re born with naturally frisky hair, or just battling Mother Nature, we’re here to help!
Check out our top seven savvy tips to kiss your frantic frizz woes goodbye and say hello to lovely locks.
1. Be conscience of the climate and choose your hairstyle wisely: Humidity causes natural hair cuticles to expand. While knowing this, try to keep your hair off your neck. Try a chic curly up do’ or Grecian inspired braids.
2. A Protein Conditioner/Treatment: Regardless of what you do, if you’re not feeding your hair… with protein, it will frizz out quickly and completely. Protein
3. Frizz Serum: Whether you have silky smooth hair or naturally curly q’s, humidity can turn your hair from fierce to a frizzy frazzled fuzz ball in just seconds. Luckily for you, there are a variety of affordable frizz serums and styling sprays, to keep that fab do in shape. Check out Avon’s Frizz Control Serum with Lotus Shield, for only $9.99, available at Avon.com.
4. Moisture, moisture, moisture! While it may seem that I am screaming this at you… I am! Many of us neglect this step, but just like your body, your hair is thirsty. Think about it. What do you do, when your body needs hydration? (this is not a trick question) You drink water! This goes for your hair as well. Each season, your lovely tresses are exposed to a variety of climate changes, heat, extreme cold weather, and all of the tools we use to sustain our lovely locks during this time. We suggest a steamer, such as our product, the Huetiful Hair Steamer, for a low cost of $114.95. Not only is it affordable, it provides you with a salon quality tool, for at home use, at your discretion.
5. Sleep On it: If you’re like most of us, and get caught up in the morning rush, reduce the damage to early morning blow dryer and flat iron sessions. Wrap your already styled coif at night, with a scarf. From your grandma’s hand me down goodies, to the $1 handkerchiefs available at Hobby Lobby, there are several stylish options to choose from.
What are your favorite ways to kick frizz in the butt?! Do share…
With so much information on the internet, how is one to really know what’s good in the world of coils, kinks, curls, and silky coifs?! Blogs are riddled with common questions on the frequency of shampooing, heat damage, tips for hair growth, and to relax or not to relax, that is the question. It’s no surprised that our crispy ends aren't the only one’s stressing out. Thankfully, we’re here to soothe you natural hair myth woes.
Mane Myth: Trimming your hair will make it grow faster.
Tress Truth: “While frequent trims are great for removing split ends, they don’t actually make your hair grow faster,” says Ursula Stevens (stylist to the stars). In other words… ladies stop skipping your maintenance appointments. Cut those crispy ends! Ignoring your split ends will only cause further damage to your strands, as the split ends creep up your shaft.
Mane Myth: Hair with curls and coils don’t need to be shampooed often.
Tress Truth: Wash your hair at least once a week. Infrequent shampooing can result in oil, dirt, product buildup, and scalp conditions such as dandruff, that can weigh down your hair, making it look dull or even worse… greasy! If you’re concerned about the damage or dryness that shampooing can cause, consider a sulfate-free shampoo.
Mane Myth: Black women can’t grow long hair.
Tress Truth: Black women CAN and DO grow their hair long! The challenge is that many women do a lot to their hair and as a result, the locs can suffer. The longer you hair is, the more attention it needs. Keep up your trims, oil those ends, wear protective hairstyles, drink plenty of water, and (if necessary) ease off of the chemicals and harsh heating items.
Mane Myth: Natural hair is unprofessional.
Tress Truth: Being in Atlanta, Huetiful spies naturalistas daily. You can see these fierce naturals working as teachers, lawyers, social workers, actresses, etc. As long as you don’t look like you arrived fresh off of the treadmill, all hair types can be pretty and professional.
Mane Myth: Water is evil. It will dry out your hair.
Tress Truth: Lies Ladies! When you’re thirsty, what do you drink? When your hair is thirsty, what do you think you hair should be drinking? Right, “water”. Water is one of the BEST ways to hydrate your lovely locks. Don’t be afraid to use it. And don’t forget that health hair starts from the inside. So, work on drinking at least 8 cups (64 ounces) of water a day and make hair steaming a regular part of your hair hydration regimen.
Who is Huetiful?!
Based out of Atlanta, one of America’s top rising cities for black entrepreneurs is the innovative Huetiful.
Derived from the word “hues”; which means colors and shades, Huetiful’s mission is “to provide innovative and effective beauty care solutions for women of all hues. We understand that in an increasingly more global and diverse world, beauty care solutions need to be designed from a much more holistic stand point; focused on the unique needs of huetiful women.
The diverse and dynamic Huetiful may be located in Hotlanta, but it’s roots reside in Washington Heights, NY. Spanish Harlem, also known as “The Heights” heavily inspires and influences this brands flavorful, diverse, and effective product portfolio and passion for beauty; offering a variety of hair goodies for women of all diversities.
“Huetiful thrives on providing excellent customer experiences and in doing so, we try to meet and exceed the needs of our Huetiful community. As a multi-racial woman, it has been a challenge to maintain my curly, yet sometimes frizzy, dry, and damaged coif. It wasn’t until I joined the Huetiful team, that I became a believer in their products.” - Customer Experience/Associate Brand Manager, Ruthie Hawkins
From your itchy scalp to your crispy ends to your many skin woes, Huetiful has you covered.
“We are committed to pushing the envelope to produce and create effective beauty care solutions, products, and services. That is the Huetiful Promise. It is also why we offer a 45 day, 100% money back guarantee. as well as free shipping and free returns. We want the Huetiful community to try and sample our products and determine for themselves if they should incorporate them into their beauty care regimen. Personally, I would question companies that don’t stand by their products with that kind of promise.” - Founder & President Ken BurkeenStay tuned, as Huetiful continues to press the envelope, creating new innovative hair care solutions, for the chic, fun, and fabulous!